The Knott Scholarship Funds award four-year, full-tuition scholarships to attend a Catholic parish elementary school located in Baltimore City, Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Frederick, Harford, or Howard counties. These scholarships honor Catholic students who excel in academics. To apply for these scholarships the student MUST meet ALL of the criteria described below. (If the student does not meet all of these criteria, do not apply. The application will not be reviewed.)
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR 2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR
- Student must be in the fourth grade at time of application.
- Student must be a baptized Catholic or convert officially received into the Catholic Church by a priest.
- Student and family legally reside in one of these areas of the Archdiocese of Baltimore: Baltimore City, Anne Arundel,
Baltimore, Carroll, Frederick, Harford, or Howard counties. If you reside outside of these areas, you are not eligible
to apply for these scholarships.
- Student and family are registered in a Catholic parish in one of the above-mentioned areas.
- If named a Knott Scholar, the student will be asked to provide a letter from the pastor of his/her parish stating he/she is a registered member of that parish. You will be notified if this letter is necessary.
- Student attends fourth grade at a Catholic parish elementary school, or fourth grade in a public, private school or home school in one of the above geographic areas and has applied for admission into fifth grade at a Catholic parish elementary school in one of these areas. Confirmation of admission to a Catholic school must be attached to your completed Knott Scholarship application when submitted.
- Student scores in the 94th percentile or above in Total Reading, Language, and Total Mathematics, on a nationally standardized test (such as the Stanford Achievement Test or the California Achievement Test) given at the student’s current school in spring of Grade 3 or fall of Grade 4. For students attending an Archdiocese of Baltimore Catholic school giving the Iowa Test of Basic Skills in spring of Grade 3, the score categories are: Reading, ELA Total, and Math Total. These are the only test results we will accept. We will not accept any private retesting result unless the student is absent from school and has missed one of these sections. In that case, the parent must present proof in the form of a letter from the principal stating the student has missed a portion of the test. The student must then be tested privately in all of the required areas, as the test results must come from the same test.
- Public, private, and home-school students who have not taken a nationally standardized test ( we accept only the Stanford Achievement Test, the California Achievement Test or the Iowa Test of Basic Skills . . . not Maryland State testing) in spring of Grade 3 or fall of Grade 4 must be tested privately if they wish to apply. However, the student may be tested one time only and that is the only test result we will accept. Private test site administrators are given instructions to this effect. Please contact our office for complete information.
- Student’s fourth grade first and second trimester or first and second quarter report cards (depending on system used by your school) must show grades in major subjects – Reading/Literature, English/Writing, Vocabulary/ Spelling (Language Arts), Social Studies, Mathematics, Science – to be all A/A+ or 93-100, depending on grading system
used. If your school gives individual grades in Language Arts subjects, each subject must meet this A/A+, /93-100 requirement. If the student receives a grade of A- and this grade is equal to a number grade below 93, the student is not eligible to apply.
- ‘Eligibility’ for a Knott Scholarship’ means initial eligibility. Qualified students fall into the range of many high achieving students. Meeting initial eligibility criteria does not mean a student will receive a scholarship.
- Students exempt from tuition due to a parent’s employment by the school or parish are eligible to apply for a Knott Scholarship. Scholarship payments must be applied to that student’s tuition. The school has the discretion to apply its exemption to other expenses.
- Students are ranked according to the data submitted. We do not accept letters of recommendation. Results will not be given or discussed by phone or email at any time.
- BY APPLYING FOR A KNOTT SCHOLARSHIP, STUDENTS, PARENTS, GUARDIANS AND SCHOOL PERSONNEL AGREE THAT ALL INFORMATION RECEIVED BY THE KNOTT SCHOLARSHIP FUNDS, FROM ANY SOURCE, IS STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL AND WILL NOT BE DISCLOSED TO ANYONE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO APPLICANTS, PARENTS, GUARDIANS OR SCHOOL PERSONNEL. ALL DECISIONS ARE FINAL.
Knott Scholarships are based primarily on outstanding academic achievement. However, a small amount of credit may be given for extreme financial need. You must meet all requirements stated above, including all academic requirements, before financial need is considered.
To determine eligibility for this credit we use the Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) distributed through School and Student Service for Financial Aid of Princeton, NJ. If you submit the Parents’ Financial Statement to School and Student Service, you must attach a copy of your 2016 (not 2017) Federal Income Tax return, including all schedules if used (failure to do this will disqualify you from financial need consideration.), to your completed Knott Scholarship application when you submit it to our office.
IF YOU DO NOT SUBMIT A PFS, WE DO NOT NEED ANY TAX INFORMATION. Click here here to access \ the PFS form.
All completed elementary scholarship applications must be in our office no later than 5:00 p.m. on FRIDAY, March 23, 2108. Applications received after that date will not be processed regardless of the reason for delay. Announcement of results will be made by letter mailed on or about Friday, APRIL 7, 2018.
Scholarship application records are confidential. No information from any application, test score, grade report, evaluation, or tax return will be discussed or disclosed to anyone including, but not limited to applicants, parents, guardians and school personnel.
APPLICATION REQUEST FORM
Complete the form ONLY if you meet the requirements listed above. Once you have completed and submitted the form, you will be automatically advanced to the Knott Scholarship Elementary Application form.